Sample section of rationale ISO 9000 Quality Policy Manual. Key words: business improvement, organization, TQM, Total Quality Management, procedures, work instructions, ASQ, Ron Kurtus, School for Champions. Copyright © Restrictions
Sample ISO 9000 Quality Policy Manual: Sec. 4.3 Contract Review
by Ron Kurtus (14 March 2001)
The following material is section 4.3 of a Quality Policy Manual, used to satisfy the ISO 9001 standard. This material follows the rationale approach to stating company policies and is intended as an example of this approach as well as a sample of a Quality Manual.
For other sections, refer to the Manual Table of Contents
4.3 Contract Review
In our company, we use contracts to define what we are to make and deliver to our customer, when it is to be delivered, what the price will be, and other sundry considerations.
We believe it is important to review a contract with both the customer and the people doing the work before it is finalized. This is to make sure we understand what the customer wants and that we are able to make a product that fulfills what those desires.
We believe that effective contract review will result in reduced costs by helping eliminate contractual misunderstandings that cause wasted effort and material. It will also ultimately result in increased business due to customer satisfaction from getting expected goods and services.
Thus, in order to make sure there are no contractual misunderstandings, it is the policy of this company to adhere to the ISO 9001 section 4.3 standard on Contract Review and always review each contract before it is finalized to see that:
- The requirements are adequately defined and documented;
- Any requirements differing from those in the tender are resolved; and
- We have the capability to meet contractual requirements.
Also, to make sure there are no contractual misunderstandings, it is our policy to always coordinate with the purchaser's organization, as appropriate, our contract review activities, interfaces and communication.
- To make sure we can check and verify what transpired at our contract review meetings, it is our policy to always maintain records of those contract reviews, as per Policy paragraph section 4.16 Document Control.
- To make sure we properly implement this contract review policy, it is our policy to always use Procedure 4.3 for the review of contracts and for the coordination of these activities.
- It is also our policy to maintain that procedure, as per Policy paragraph section 4.16 Document Control.
Resources and references
ISO Online - International Organization for Standardization website
Questions and comments
Do you have any questions, comments, or opinions on this subject? If so, send an email with your feedback. I will try to get back to you as soon as possible.
Click on a button to bookmark or share this page through Twitter, Facebook, email, or other services:
Students and researchers
The Web address of this page is:
Please include it as a link on your website or as a reference in your report, document, or thesis.
Where are you now?
Sample Quality Manual: 4.3 Contract Review